1. Who are the Socs (So-shuhs)? Who are the Greasers?
2. How do Ponyboy's relationships with Darry and Sodapop differ? Explain.
3. Why is the 'gang' important to Johnny?
4. How does Ponyboy react to what Sodapop tells him about Darry loving him? Why does he react this way?
5. Do you think Darry loves Ponyboy? Why does he treat Ponyboy the way he does?
6. What does Ponyboy mean when he says, "I lie to myself all the time"? Do you ever lie to yourself? Why?
7. Who is Cherry? Why does Ponyboy stick up for Dallas, when he clearly prefers Cherry’s company?
8. Why doesn't Ponyboy like referring to Sodapop as a dropout?
9. According to Two-Bit, why don’t Socs fight fair? How is this different than the Greasers? What are the two Greaser rules according to Two-Bit?
10. What does Cherry explain as the difference between the Socs and the Greasers?
11. Ponyboy says, "Johnny and I understood each other without saying anything." Have you ever had a relationship with someone who you understood without having to say anything? Describe it.
12. What happens when Pony comes home after his curfew? What is Darry’s reaction? Why does he react this way? How would you react if you were Pony?
13. Why does Johnny say, “It ain’t the same as having your own folks care about you”? Would you rather have your parents care about you versus a group of friends?