1. What does Ponyboy mean when he says the socs were "reeling pickled"? How does this affect Ponyboy and Johnny’s feelings towards them? Do you think it made a difference in what Johnny decided to do?
2. The boys immediately turn to Dally for help. Why is he the logical choice? Explain why or if you would have gone to someone else then explain why.
3. What would your advice be to Johnny and Ponyboy if they'd come to you for help instead of Dally? Explain in detail.
4. Johnny says he has a premonition when he first goes in the church. What does this mean? Have you ever had a premonition? Did something actually happen?
5. Why does Johnny say the judge makes the Greasers cut their hair when they get caught? Do you think his assessment is correct? What’s one thing that ties into your identity that you wouldn’t want taken from you? Explain.
6. Why does Johnny think Dally is a hero? Do you agree with Johnny? Why does Ponyboy realize he doesn't like Dally? Compare and contrast Johnny’s and Ponyboy’s views of Dally.
7. What is the meaning of the poem on pg. 77 to you?
8. Who is the spy for the greasers? Does this surprise you? Why or why not?
9. Why doesn't Dally want Johnny to turn himself in? What "other side" of Dallas is revealed in this chapter? Does this surprise you? Why or why not?
10. What's your own definition of a hero? Do the three boys prove themselves to be heroes, according to your definition? Explain.
11. Do you think Ponyboy would have ever understood how much Darry cared, if the incidents at the park and then the church hadn’t happened?